Wednesday, September 24, 2025

Dating in College: Effects of Social Media Pt. 2

And we are back with another one! Today's subtopic regarding this topic is...using other people's relationships as a reference to your own.


Recently, the rappers Monaleo and Stunna 4 Vegas got married. Their wedding photos are absolutely beautiful!! I cannot stress that enough. But that's not the point. 

I've begun to see people post their photos and say things like, "If he not like this ion want it." or, "I need us to be like this." While that's normal on the surface level, it gets strange on the deeper level. Let me dive deeper into this. 

What I mean is that people will see things such as Monaleo's wedding and compare that to their current relationship (like people used to do with those YouTube couples in the past). Not so much the photos themselves but the vibes they give off. Any cutesy aspect they learn about said relationship- they will apply that to theirs or even their future relationship. Sure, it's fine to look at what others have and use that as a backbone to your standards, but...it gets to a point. 

Doing this is dangerous because you are setting unnecessary expectations on yourself and your partner. Just go with the flow. 9 times out of 10, your relationship is not gonna look like your favorite TikToker's or artist's, and that is completely okay. Again, go with the flow. Create your own type of beautiful connection that people will envy.

A personal connection I have to this is comparing what I could have with contestants from Love Island- like Nic and Olandria or Serena and Kordell. I have to remind myself that 1, I do not know these people, so why am I comparing myself to them? 2, pictures do not show what is going on behind the scenes. No, I'm not insinuating anything bad, but I can't just run with what I see and drive myself crazy over it. One day, I will find love that is equally as beautiful. I have no reason to compare myself or my future relationship to someone's relationship on social media.

My point is, stop being weird. Just admire, but never compare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Island's Obvious Racism: Fans and Production

Look, I adore Love Island. I've been posting non-stop rant videos on my spam IG account for days now. However, something is painfully ob...